FREE DOCUMENT SHREDDING
Your BBB along with Neoshred will be providing Free Public Document Shredding
at our Fall 2013 Secure Your ID Day
. The event will take place on Saturday, September 28, 2013 from 9am-12pm, at 895 E. Tallmadge Avenue, Akron, OH 44310
. This free service is to help promote proper document destruction which is one step consumers should take to protect themselves from possible Identity Theft. Identity Theft is a serious crime. It occurs when your personal information is stolen and used without your knowledge to commit fraud or other crimes. It can cost you time, money and destroy your good name.
Simply bring your documents containing sensitive information to NeoShred on September 28, 2013 and we will shred them for you on the spot, free of charge & provide you with some useful consumer tips as well. There is a limit of 10 boxes/bags per person. Please contact NeoShred directly at (330) 253-8260 to make arrangements if you are going to exceed the limit. Common Ways ID Theft Happens:
Skilled identity thieves use a variety of methods to steal your personal information, including:
- Dumpster Diving: They rummage through trash looking for bills or other paper with your personal information on it.
- Skimming: They steal credit/debit card numbers by using a special storage device when processing your card.
- Phishing: They pretend to be financial institutions or companies and send spam or pop-up messages to get you to reveal your personal information.
- Changing Your Address: They divert your billing statements to another location by completing a 'Change Of Address' form.
- "Old-Fashioned" Stealing: They steal wallets and purses; mail, including bank and credit card statements; pre-approved credit offers; and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records from their employees, or bribe employees who have access.
Deter identity thieves by safeguarding your information through:
- Shred financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you discard them.
- Protect your Social Security Number.
- Don't give out personal information on the phone, through the mail, or over the Internet unless you know who you are dealing with.
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited email instead, type, in a web address you know. Use firewalls, anti-spyware and anti-virus software to protect your home computer.
- Don't use obvious passwords like your birth date, or the last four digits of your socail security number.
- Keep your personal information in a secure place at home.
Our next Secure Your ID Day will be
October 19, 2013
Take Advantage of BBB "Secure Your ID" Day
Did you know that protecting your identity is largely in your own hands? Fifty-six percent of identity theft victims traced the theft to something that was stolen from their own possession.
So here’s the first rule: If you don’t need it, shred it – responsibly. BBB is here to help with Secure Your ID Day.
On Saturday, October 19, 2013, BBBs across North America will host this helpful identity theft prevention event featuring FREE on-site shredding plus tips to protect your identity.