Vacation season is now in full swing and chances are you’ll be taking off a few days – maybe more!
Smart travelers take time to research lodging choices before hitting the road or taking to the skies, and for good reason.
The BBB serving Ashland, Medina, Portage, Richland, Summit & Wayne Counties received more than 3,400 inquiries regarding hotels/motels, reservation companies, travel agents and travel clubs in the last year.
Whether you’re headed just an hour away from home or to London for the Summer Olympics, the BBB offers these tips when choosing a place to rest your head:
• Ask friends and family for recommendations for hotels and motels, car rental companies, even sites to see – then check them out with the BBB.
• Consult a reliable travel agent or travel service (you can find a list of BBB Accredited travel companies at akron.bbb.org). Full-service travel agencies can negotiate preferred rates with certain hotel/motel chains. Making reservations online is another possibility and some offer discounts if you do.
• When making reservations, never wire money or write a personal check. Plastic is the way to go because your credit card company may offer some protection if there is a dispute.
• Whenever possible, book directly with the hotel. Most now feature online booking, and generally prices are as low, if not lower, than what you’ll find elsewhere.
• Make sure you get a confirmation number from the business when reserving a room. Also, make sure you know times of check-in and check-out, and clearly understand the type of room you are paying for (smoking or nonsmoking, queen or double beds, regular room or suite, etc.)
• If you have any concern about the quality of a motel or hotel, ask to inspect your room before moving in. You have a better chance to get satisfaction from staff or management if you have not already accepted your room. If you spot a problem, report it to the front desk immediately.
• Do your research. A variety of travel guidebooks and online reviews address services and amenities at hotels and motels. Check BBB Business Reviews of hotels by going to akron.bbb.org or calling 330-253-4590 or toll-free at 800-825-8887.
Start With Trust. For trustworthy consumer tips and information, visit akron.bbb.org or call 330-253-4590 or 800-825-8887.